Task 1: Simulation and Modeling
Task 1 Fact Sheet
The applications for simulation span the design and operational life cycle of buildings and are critical in completing the feedback loop that enables actual performance in operation to inform future designs. Simulation can be used to compare design alternatives, evaluate energy code compliance and certify post-construction energy performance through the use of rating and labeling programs. The Simulation and Modeling task focuses on practitioners that design and operate energy systems in buildings and on technical areas identified by stakeholders in India and in DOE’s Building Technologies Program Multi-Year (2011-2015) Work Plan. We aim to add significant capabilities to existing and new building design, operation, and evaluation tools in order to promote dramatic improvements in energy efficiency by:
- Reducing barriers to energy efficiency by enabling the use of practitioner-oriented, interoperable simulation tools for integrated design, commissioning and operation
- Developing new methods for reducing the energy consumption and managing the peak load of existing and new buildings – focusing on controls and automated diagnostics
- Specification and development of eDOT, an early design optimization tool for predicting building energy use early in the design process
- Automation of performance-based code compliance (Appendix G and Indian Energy Conservation Building Code ECBC)
- Model predictive control (MPC) of radiant slab cooling for energy savings and peak load reduction/shifting
- Model-based fault detection and diagnosis (FDD) for commissioning and routine operation of dedicated outdoor air systems (DOAS) developed in a new Fault Detection and Diagnostics (FDD) laboratory at IIIT-H
Screenshot of the alpha version of CBERD tool eDOT (early design optimization tool), an online tool to enable multi-parameter optimization of the building envelope and HVAC systems
CBERD Model Predictive Control: Model identification and closed loop predictive control tool chain for radiant slabs using open source software
Task R&D Lead (India)
Associate Professor and Head, Center for IT in Building Science
International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (IIIT Hyderabad)
Overall task R&D Lead (U.S.)
Simulation Research Group Leader
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
- Garg, Vishal, Philip Haves, Aviruch Bhatia, Reshma Singh. "Developing an Early Stage Design Tool." Building Simulation 2017. San Francisco. August. 2017.
- Bhatia Aviruch, T.V. S. Nikhil, Vishal Garg, Philip Haves. “eDOT - An Early Stage Design Decision Tool for Building Energy Efficiency.” ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings. 2016.
- Garg, Vishal, H. Rallapalli. “Survey for the Development of an Early Design Tool for Architects.” 2nd Asia Conference of International Building Performance Simulation Association. Nagoya, Japan. November. 2014.
- Garg, Vishal, Abhishek Mittal, Rounak Patni, Rathish Arumugam, Aviruch Bhatia, Phil Haves. “WinOpt – An Early Stage Design Tool for Optimizing Window Parameters.” 30th International Passive and Low Energy (PLEA) Conference. Ahmedabad, India. December. 2014.
- Parker, Andrew, Subhash Jegibabu, Baptiste Ravache, Vishal Garg, Philip Haves. "Development of Automated Procedures to Generate Reference Building Models for ASHRAE Standard 90.1 and India's Building Energy Code and Implementation in OpenStudio." 15th International Conference of the International Building Performance Simulation. San Francisco. August. 2017.
- Garg, Vishal, T. V. S. Nikhil, Jegibabu Subhash, Hema Rallapalli, Aviruch Bhatia, and Chetan Kasireddy. “Surrogate City Finder - A Weather Data Tool.” 14th International Conference of the International Building Performance Simulation.December. 2015.
- Chuang, Frank and Francesco Borrelli. “Dynamic State and Input Aggregation.” 2015 American Control Conference (ACC). 1-3 July. 2015.
- Feng, Jingjuan (Dove), Frank Chuang, Francesco Borrelli, and Fred Bauman. "Model Predictive Control of Radiant Slab Systems with Evaporative Cooling Sources." Energy and Buildings. 199-210. January. 2015.
- Chuang, Frank, and Francesco Borrelli. "Optimality of Certainty Equivalence in Expected Value Problems for Uncertain Linear Systems." 53rd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control. 2822–2827. Los Angeles. December. 2014.
- Bhatia, A., Vishal Garg, R. Reddy. “Design of Fault Detection and Diagnostics Lab for HVAC System.” 2nd Asia Conference of International Building Performance Simulation Association. Nagoya, Japan. November. 2014.